Goat Rogan Josh
Try this easy way to cook a delicious goat curry.
Ingredients (Serves 4−6)
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste
- 1.3 kg chunky goat pieces, on the bone
- ½ cup Farmers Union Greek Style All Natural Yoghurt, whipped
- Pinch turmeric and chilli powders
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 1 − 2 Portobello field mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick, a few bay leaves, 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 − 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Whip together ½ cup Farmers Union Greek Style All Natural Yoghurt, ¼ cup pouring cream and juice of a lemon
- Bunch of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced (optional)
- Make the marinade by combining ½ cup yoghurt with turmeric, chilli powder and a pinch of salt. Add goat to this mixture and allow to marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 120˚C.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole dish on the stove. Caramelise the red onions with the cinnamon stick, bay leaves and sweet paprika. Add the mushrooms and fry a few minutes longer. Next add Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste and heat for 3 minutes. Pour in ¼ cup water, gently simmer for another 5 − 8 minutes until aromatic and the paste mixture is sizzling. Add the tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes until they break down.
- Add the marinated goat to the spicy mix and cook for about 5 minutes over moderate heat until it is sealed. Add salt and a small amount of water to the meat. Bring to a quick boil before covering with a lid and slow cooking in the oven for 4 hours.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Leave to cool briefly before stirring in the yoghurt, cream and lemon mixture.
- Serve with steamed rice and green beans, garnished with coriander leaves and green chillies if liked.
Note: As children under 12 years of age may find this dish a little spicy, you could reduce the rogan josh paste to ⅓ jar and increase the amount of onions and tomatoes used. Serve with a spoonful of full fat yoghurt on the side.