Coriander Dahl Lentil Stew with Spinach
- 300 g yellow dried split peas rinsed at least three times until the water runs clear
- 4½ cups water
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp each fenugreek, fennel and cumin seeds
- Pinch of gluten free asafoetida (Herbie’s Spices)
- 1 tsp each fresh garlic and ginger paste
- 1 green chilli, split in half
- 1 tbsp sliced red onions
- 1 stalk curry leaf
- Pinch of salt
- 400 g frozen or fresh spinach, washed and finely chopped
Seasoning ingredients B
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 dry chillies – broken
- 1/4 tsp gluten free asafoetida (Herbie’s Spices)
- 1 heaped tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 green chilli, sliced in rounds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Place washed lentils and 4 cups water into a deep pot with the rest of Ingredients A.
- Stir well and bring to the boil. Now cover pan with a lid and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 40 minutes. Then add the spinach into the lentils, and stir gently to mix well. Add a pinch of salt.
- When the lentils and spinach have cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and mash slightly to break down some of the lentils. Set the mixture aside to thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil/ghee from Seasoning ingredients B in a fry pan over medium heat. Add the next three ingredients, one at a time, and fry for a minute until fragrant. Then add Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste and water to the pan and stir well to combine. Add in the tomatoes, chillies and lemon juice and cook until softened. Add this mixture to the cooked spinach lentils, and season with salt to taste. Add boiling water if the dahl is too thick. Coconut milk can also be added to sweeten the dahl. More ghee can be added as desired.
Tip: You can replace the spinach with other vegetables such as cabbage, kale, or a mix of cauliflower, potato and carrot.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.
Oops! We could not locate your form.