Red Chilli Onion Relish with Hummus
Sticky, spicy and sweet! Latasha’s Kitchen Red Chilli Onion Relish relish has a lovely velvet feel with a crunchy texture. Sweet yet with a lingering spicy finish. Sticky, spicy and sweet!
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Red Chilli Onion Relish
- Assortment of carrot, capsicum and celery sticks or gluten free hummus or lentil crackers
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 cups cooked hummus made with 200 g small dry chickpeas (see method below)
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- Sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1 tsp fennel seeds, roasted
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame paste)
- Pick through the dried chickpeas discarding any bad grains or small stones. Wash the chickpeas several times, until the water is clear. Fill a large vessel with fresh water and soak the chickpeas overnight with a tablespoon of baking soda. Then rinse and soak again in fresh water for another 2 hours. The grains should absorb most of the water and almost double in size.
- Rinse the chickpeas again and put them in a large vessel. Cover with fresh water and add ½ teaspoon of baking soda. Bring to a quick boil then simmer until the grains are very easily smashed, which should take around 1-1.5 hours. While cooking remove any floating peels and foam from the cooking liquid. When done, strain the chickpeas reserving the cooking liquid. Set aside some whole cooked chickpeas for garnishing.
- Put the chickpeas into a food processor and grind well, then leave to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C. Place garlic cloves on a small piece of foil and lightly drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Seal foil to form a pouch and roast garlic in the oven for about 20 minutes or until soft. Remove garlic from the oven and allow to cool a little. Peel then add to the food processor with the ground chickpeas.
- Add the tahini, roasted garlic, lemon juice, cumin and fennel seeds, olive oil and some of the reserved cooking liquid and process until it becomes a creamy paste. Taste and adjust seasoning. If the hummus is too thick, add more of the cooking water.
TIP: As it really thickens up while it’s cooling down, leave it thinner than the desired texture.
- Pour the hummus on to a serving platter. Pile some Latasha’s Kitchen Red Chilli Onion Relish in the middle and then scatter over the reserved cooked chickpeas. Drizzle olive oil over the hummus and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Arrange the veggie sticks or crackers around the platter.
- Choose garnishes from the options below.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with a teaspoon of sweet paprika and a tablespoon of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Roast some jalapeno chillies along with the garlic and blend together for a hot flavour. Sprinkle with ground sumac and a little chopped flat leaf parsley
- Sprinkle with toasted cumin and hot chilli powders
- Fry 3 tablespoons of pine nuts in butter and sprinkle over
- Add grated parmesan cheese to the blender
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.
Oops! We could not locate your form.