Traditional Homestyle Chicken Curry
Latasha’s Kitchen Homestyle Curry Paste is an authentic old family recipe so deliciously moreish. This versatile paste makes awesome meat curries as well as omelette, vegetarian or tofu and tempeh curries.
Ingredients (Serves 8-12)
- 3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar Latasha’s Kitchen Homestyle Curry Paste
- 1 x 1.5 kg whole free range chicken, skin off or chicken thigh cutlets, cut into chunky pieces
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2 Roma tomatoes or a punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 2 sprigs curry leaves or coriander leaves
- 2 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala (optional)
- Extra green and red chillies, split in two
- In a heavy based pot, add oil, when hot add crushed onion. Cook for 10 minutes, then add minced garlic and Latasha’s Kitchen Homestyle Curry Paste. Cook on low for a few minutes then add water and simmer for 10 minutes. Next add chicken pieces, turn the heat up and fry in the paste for approx.10 minutes on moderate heat, until it’s no longer pink. Add potatoes, salt to taste, coconut milk and bring quickly to a boil. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer for 40 minutes, with a lid on. Add the coconut cream and garnish well.
- Alternatively, try cooking the curry as a dry style in a seasoned wok. Marinate 500 g chicken in a teaspoon of Latasha’s Kitchen Homestyle Curry Paste and some yoghurt overnight. Heat oil in a wok, caramelise some sliced onions, crushed clove or two of garlic, ¼ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Homestyle Curry Paste, a small amount of water and fry the paste gently. Then add marinated chicken and gently cook until the meat is ready and aromatic. Sprinkle water as required to stop the chicken from drying out in the early cooking stages. Garnish with coriander leaves, chillies and lemon juice.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.
Oops! We could not locate your form.