Chutney Roast Chicken
Having a dinner party for four people? Try serving this moist, tasty and tender chutney roast chicken roll. With creamy goats cheese under the skin, seasoned with Latasha’s Kitchen Date & Tamarind Chutney, rolled around fresh dates and roasted.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 x full chicken breast approx 800 g, de-boned with the skin left on, ask your butcher to supply this in one piece
- 3 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Date & Tamarind Chutney, or to taste
- 6 fresh Medjool dates, loose skin removed
- 80 − 100 g spreadable plain goats cheese
- Handful fresh lemon thyme sprigs, leaves removed
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Kipfler or royal blue potatoes parboiled with skin on, then cut into small quarters and finished in the oven next to the chicken are delicious. Braised red capsicum with shallots and lightly cooked sugar snap peas are delicious as side vegetables.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh lemon thyme.
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C.
- Cut a slit in the dates and remove the seed. Stuff each date with goats cheese and set aside.
- Remove any excess skin from the chicken breast and reserve. Turn the breast over and trim any fat off.
TIP: Cover your chopping board with baking paper first.
- Combine goats cheese and lemon thyme, then spread carefully and evenly under the skin.
- Turn the breast over, smear generously with Latasha’s Kitchen Date & Tamarind Chutney, leaving the edge clear right around. Season with salt and pepper.
- Leaving a little room at each end, lay the stuffed dates in the centre along the length of the chicken breast.
- Carefully fold/roll the breast over enclosing the dates and making a tidy shape. Season the outside with salt and pepper. Tie the roll up with butcher’s twine and/or stretch netting.
TIP: Watch a YouTube video on how to tie a roast.
- On the stove, heat a heavy non-stick oven proof pan to hot, add the reserved chicken skin and brown the chicken roll on all sides.
- Transfer pan to the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, until meat tests done.
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and stand for 5 − 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices about 20 mm thick, garnish with lemon thyme and serve with vegetables.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.
Oops! We could not locate your form.