LATASHA’S TANDOORI PRAWNS
- 1kg fresh king prawns
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Salt flakes to taste
- Mustard oil
- 3 tbsp grated ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 green chillies
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- ¼ tsp permitted red food colouring mixed with 1 tsp of tomato paste
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp mace powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper & white pepper mix
- Lemon slices
- Red onion rings
- Fresh coriander & mint leaves
- 1 tbsp ghee to drizzle
- Wash, clean and de-vein prawns leaving shell intact. Sprinkle salt and lemon juice over prawns and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Blend Ingredients A until smooth. Add Ingredients B and blend again. Pour this marinade over prawns and mix evenly. Cover with cling wrap and leave overnight in the fridge or at least for an hour.
- Take prawns out of the fridge 10 minutes before cooking. Drizzle 1-2 tbsp mustard oil (or any high temperature cooking oil) over the prawns.
- You don’t need a tandoor or a clay oven to make a tandoori dish. You can successfully use any of the following methods.
- For a Weber, cook on indirect heat for about 15 minutes, basting frequently with the marinade (half-close the vents on the cover but leave air intake fully open). Then with lid off, wait a few minutes for heat beads/charcoal to flare up and grill on direct heat for charred effect. This should be done in a couple of minutes with a quick turning over of prawns.
- For cooking in oven, preheat oven at 200˚C for 10 minutes. Line baking tray with foil, place a wire rack and arrange prawns over the top. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn pieces over carefully and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Baste with the marinade at this point.
- For stove-top grilling, preheat the grill to high for 10 minutes. When sizzling hot add the prawns, making sure they are not too close to each other. Grill for 7-8 minutes on each side, and baste with some of the marinade.
To serve: Arrange the prawns on a large platter with lemon and red onion slices, and garnish with coriander and mint leaves. Drizzle with ghee.