Kashmiri Lamb Rogan Josh
Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste is a red curry paste – perfect for slow cooking in the oven, stove top or in a slow cooker for tender melting results.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste
- 1 kg diced lamb shoulder/leg, goat or mutton
- ½ cup full fat yoghurt, whipped (or buttermilk)
- Pinch of turmeric and chilli powders
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick and a few bay leaves
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (mutti brand)
- 3-4 tbsp oil/ghee as required
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Whip together ½ cup full fat yogurt, ¼ cup pouring cream and juice of a whole lemon
- Bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced (optional)
- Mix ½ cup yoghurt with turmeric and chilli powders and a pinch of salt. Add lamb, goat or mutton to this mixture and allow to marinade for ½ hour or even overnight.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a cooking vessel. Add cinnamon stick and bay leaves, Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste and heat for 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup water and gently simmer for another 5-8 minutes until aromatic and the paste mixture is sizzling in the oil. Then add tomatoes and puree cook for a couple of minutes until they break down.
- Add the marinated meat and brown in the spice paste for about 5 minutes over moderate heat until it is sealed. Add salt and enough water to just cover the meat. Bring to a quick boil before simmering with a lid on for an hour. There should be very little gravy left.
- Cool, and then stir in the mixture of yoghurt, cream and lemon. Garnish with coriander leaves and green chillies.
Note: an onion or two can be added at the beginning with the cinnamon if you want a richer thicker sauce. Allow to caramelise before adding Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.
Oops! We could not locate your form.