Kashmiri Lamb Rogan Josh
Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste is a red curry paste – perfect for slow cooking in the oven, stove top or in a slow cooker for tender melting results.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste
- 1 kg diced lamb shoulder/leg, goat or mutton
- ½ cup full fat yoghurt, whipped (or buttermilk)
- Pinch of turmeric and chilli powders
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick and a few bay leaves
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (mutti brand)
- 3-4 tbsp oil/ghee as required
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Whip together ½ cup full fat yogurt, ¼ cup pouring cream and juice of a whole lemon
- Bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced (optional)
- Mix ½ cup yoghurt with turmeric and chilli powders and a pinch of salt. Add lamb, goat or mutton to this mixture and allow to marinade for ½ hour or even overnight.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a cooking vessel. Add cinnamon stick and bay leaves, Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste and heat for 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup water and gently simmer for another 5-8 minutes until aromatic and the paste mixture is sizzling in the oil. Then add tomatoes and puree cook for a couple of minutes until they break down.
- Add the marinated meat and brown in the spice paste for about 5 minutes over moderate heat until it is sealed. Add salt and enough water to just cover the meat. Bring to a quick boil before simmering with a lid on for an hour. There should be very little gravy left.
- Cool, and then stir in the mixture of yoghurt, cream and lemon. Garnish with coriander leaves and green chillies.
Note: an onion or two can be added at the beginning with the cinnamon if you want a richer thicker sauce. Allow to caramelise before adding Latasha’s Kitchen Rogan Josh Masala Paste.