Vindaloo – Red Pork
A fiery hot paste great for beef, lamb, pork, chicken and diced vegetables. Red Pork Vindaloo was the signature dish from our Leederville cafe with many global fans.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Vindaloo Masala Paste
- 3 tbsp mustard oil or rice bran oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
- Water as required
- 1 kg Plantagenet Pork Belly, sliced
- 1 tbsp jaggery or raw sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 1 tbsp melted ghee
- 1 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Chilli Oil (optional)
- Lemon juice (optional)
For best results marinate meat for a couple of hours or overnight with a teaspoon of Latasha’s Kitchen Vindaloo Masala Paste and a tablespoon of oil.
- Heat oil in a well-seasoned heavy cast pot until hot. Then add the cinnamon stick, curry leaves and Latasha’s Kitchen Vindaloo Masala Paste and slowly heat up. Add ½ cup of water and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Next add in the marinated meat and mix well with the paste. Keep stirring the mixture continually to distribute heat evenly and to
prevent burning. This will take about 10 minutes.
- When the meat is no longer pink add a cup of water to just cover the top of the meat. Turn the heat up HIGH, and bring to a quick boil. Add the vinegar and some salt to taste. Cover with a lid at this point and simmer on gentle heat until the meat is cooked and tender approx. 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the meat. Be sure to check on the meat every 20 minutes.
- When meat is cooked, add the jaggery and bring the heat back up to thicken the juices. Drizzle over melted ghee or Latasha’s Kitchen Chilli Oil.
- Red Pork Vindaloo will taste better after a day or two when the flavours mature.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.
Oops! We could not locate your form.