CABBAGE DHAL LENTIL STEW
2 cups yellow dried split peas rinsed until the water runs clear
½ a small cabbage, sliced
2 cups green beans
1 large potato chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1½ cups coconut milk
Ingredients B to cook the Dhal
6 cups water
¾ tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp oil/ghee
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp toasted fennel seeds, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
2 tsp asafoetida powder
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
2 green chillies split
A few curry leaves
Seasoning Ingredients C
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp cumin and fennel seeds
1 stalk curry leaf
4 dry chillies – crushed
Pinch of asafoetida
Fresh lemon juice
4 shallots, sliced
1-2 green chilli, sliced diagonally
1 tomato, diced
1 tbsp Latasha’s Coriander Curry Paste
3 tbsp crushed toasted coconut
- Have Ingredients A all washed, prepared and ready.
- Place washed lentils and 6 cups water into a deep pot with the rest of Ingredients B.
- Stir well and bring to the boil. Then cover pan with a lid and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 50 minutes. Then add prepared potatoes, carrots, cabbage and green beans into the lentils, and stir gently to mix well. Add coconut milk and some salt.
- When the lentils and cabbage have cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and mash slightly to break down some of the lentils. Set the mixture aside to thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add Seasoning Ingredients C and fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Then add Seasoning Ingredients D one at a time and fry for 5 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Add a dash of water to the pan and stir well to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the oil from the sauce has risen to the surface of the sauce. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add this seasoning mixture to the cooked lentils and stir well, adding more water as necessary to loosen the mixture. Adjust salt to taste.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.
Oops! We could not locate your form.