Raita to northern Indians is similar to what Pachadi is to southern Indians. They each have a yoghurt/curd base mixed with either vegetables or fruit. A yoghurt dish is traditionally served with almost any Indian meal and is a lovely contrast to spicy dishes. This version of Beetroot Raita has a wow factor guaranteed to liven up a curry night.
- 150 ml thick natural yoghurt – whisked lightly
- ½ tbsp mustard oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp jaggery
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3-4 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Beetroot Horseradish Relish
- Whisk yoghurt in a bowl. Add salt to taste.
- For the seasoning, heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan on medium heat, add the mustard seeds. Cover and shake the pan until the seeds start to pop, add in mustard oil and the toasted crushed cumin seeds. Next, pour the mixture over the yoghurt. Add the lemon juice and caster sugar, mix gently.
- Add a few tablespoons of Latasha’s Kitchen Beetroot Horseradish Relish, mix and serve sprinkled with coriander and mint leaves, garam masala and sweet paprika.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.
Oops! We could not locate your form.